Monday, January 27, 2014

mylar......and other bits

I've been wandering around in my studio working on all kinds of things - none of which are related to oil and cold wax on panels.  Mylar - all of a sudden it seemed very important to work on this plastic surface again - I messed around with it a couple of years ago and enjoyed the experience and for whatever reasons unknown to me at this time, I was compelled to drag my last pieces to the studio and paint on them for the past week.  Nothing exceptional happened, I just worked - I made prints off the wet oil paint using thin tissue paper and then pulling it off - also I layed some of them on a panel and it left really interesting etching like marks - then I tore some of them up and did some wall collaging - I layered them, pieced them together, moved them around the floor and walls in all kinds of patterns - tomorrow I'm going to mix a bit of resin and do a bit of assemblage with them, or something akin to that - They've been hanging in my windows to see how the light comes through, taped to finished oil and cold wax pieces to see what might happen and on and on it goes.  Below are a few pictures to give you a sense of some of the work.......


three pieces hung together on the wall.  to the right you can see one hanging in my window

the beginning of the wall collage

random pieces assembled together

another random assembled pieces

this will continue for a few more days and then I'll be back painting, or at least I think that's how it will go........the piece below I finished before the mylar incident.

oil and cold wax on panel, 40x30, Clocks, Clouds and Gingerbread

Will be back here later in the week.  Make a an epic one!!

14 comments:

Lisa Graham Art said...

I was working with cold wax today and thought of you. These are all amazing. The title to your new piece is perfect, I just love it. Were you eating gingerbread while you painted this? :) I see so much more raw looking stuff in this painting, so much more revealed.

The studio change is really incredible. You did the right thing for sure! You can never have too much light in my opinion.
What a beautiful space to work in. Love the brick!

xo

Jo Murray said...

My favourite way to spend the day....just trying stuff. Amazing what happens.

Judy Shreve said...

Love hearing (and seeing) about this 'birthing process' - wonderful colors and textures -- and very cool that you can hang them in the window to see what the light does. Fascinating.

Debbie said...

Interesting work and fun to do I would think, having never used wax or resin I find your processes fascinating and the results amazing. Maybe one of these days......

Jeane Myers said...

Ha! Ha! lisa, no I wasn't eating gingerbread but it's been on my mind. Thank you! Going somewhere with all this but I don't have a clue. I love when it shakes itself all out further down the road! Xo

It is amazing isn't it Jo! Just messing around and then BAM, something happens very unexpectedly! Xo

Love the analogy of "the birthing process" Judy. That's so what we do with all this puttering! Just pushing some very dusty edges! Xo

Hello Debbie. Thank you. Whatever materials you use to mess around with, it can be very rewarding!! Thanks for stopping by. :))

Sharon Barfoot said...

When you experiment, wonderful things happen.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Cutting, painting, composing and re-composing, and Mylar you say! It may be cold outside but it is certainly heating up in the studio. Good looking piece just finished!

ZenDotStudio said...

Love the mylar and love it hanging in the window, a lacey abstract backlit by the bare trees and sky!

You are inspiring, you always know how to shake things up. Could I borrow your brain for a while??

Jeane Myers said...

Good morning Sharon! Thank you. You know how I love a temporary wall collage. Hope all is well in your very creative world. Xo

Thank you Mary Ann. I know you know this drill personally! Helps clear the haze that lingers after a surge of pushing through a body of work and clears the way for new explorations. Xo

I would love it if you could take my brain for a spin in your world! Mylar is quite magical. Have enjoyed the exploration. Xo

Annie said...

That's such a great title - Clocks, clouds and gingerbread. I think "Another random assembled piece" is looking pretty good, but I know you're probably ripping it up ready for it's next adventure as I speak! Ax

Jeane Myers said...

good morning Annie, oh, those were definitely so fun to do and yes the bits are laying under a table right now waiting for their next manifestation, thank you!! xo

Chris said...

Hi Jeane, I enjoy seeing where your wanderings take you. Bits of this 'n that. What do you use to adhere one thing to another? I'm still in the rabbit hole with knitting/crocheting projects and have added Downton Abbey...guilty pleasures :) xo

Jeane Myers said...

Good morning Chris, these pieces are just clipped together. None of this is permanent, it's just attached to the wall with pins and clips. I play with it like a big puzzle for awhile then take it all down. Your rabbit hole work sounds perfect. Xo

Chris said...

Jeane, I really like the sound of doing things that are not permanent. You have given me a concept to explore. I'll be in Downton as it percolates ;p