Saturday, February 8, 2014

old practices

Since my entree into cold wax medium, I had put one of my art practices away, not on purpose, but just because I was so centered on experimenting with this new medium it got shoved aside.   Well just in the past week I brought it back.  I was feeling unsettled when I entered the studio one day last week - then I picked up a piece of paper from the floor and started messing around with it.   I use to start almost, not every, but almost every session by just messing around with the first thing I picked up when I walked into the studio.  It could be almost anything, a piece of paper on the floor, a sketch book, an art book, a new brush, a hideous painting that needed some TLC, a branch I had drug in with me and a hundred other things.  It was just a starting point.  A place to land and center myself entering the workspace.  You know, a way to empty my head of whatever I had been involved in before I walked in the door.  Before I knew it, my tea had gone cold and an hour had passed.  It felt like coming home.  So many times I had done this very thing.  Settled myself in the work.  I was then able to move on to some painting free of the mind clutter I had drug in with me.  I continued doing this everyday and and realized how much I had missed this part of my art practice.  The photo below shows a sketch I did last week on paper - just noodling around........such a good idea for me.



Another thing I have found I really love is wearing my ear buds while working.  I have always had music playing in the background but now I am next door to a dance studio and that has been a challenge to figure out how to work with the noise and music from my neighbor - we have worked out as best we can noise levels, but it was still annoying so I got the bright idea one day to put in my ear buds and BAM! The dance studio was gone and it was just me and the work and the music - lucky me!! I like it so much that I wear them almost the whole time now.  So that's what's going on here - the painting below I finished this week.... 
oil and cold wax on panel, 40x30, 'Writing Down The Wish'
Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend.  See you back here later in the week!!

11 comments:

Kathryn said...

I don't typically work with music on but interestingly the other day I had some blues playing in the background and it felt like the perfect fit as I painted. Love the new piece.

Jo Murray said...

That music certainly worked for you. Great piece.

Lisa Graham Art said...

Oh...your wish painting. My goodness, I see a lot in this one...I see a night sky, I see city lights, I see a body of water reflecting city and boat lights, I see caves lit by candlelight. Beautiful!

And I can see you happily working in your studio with your ear buds in. Yes, I am with you...it can be REALLY good to visit old ways again.

xo

ZenDotStudio said...

I love the idea of just "working" as an entry point to the studio rather than heading straight to the painting, it's way to of honoring the fact that we need to change gears to enter the creative space and let the mind settle before heading to "painting".

Love the richness of this new work.

Jeane Myers said...

Hello Kathryn, i love that everyone has their own way of working. I know many artists who prefer to work in silence, I however have always had music in the background, but find it almost impossible to work in a group. Thanks for coming by. :))

Many thanks Jo. I love the isolation I can create with the ear buds. I'm very easily distracted! Xo

Old ways it seems can show us over and over sure ways to work that have proven themselves in the past. Thanks so much Lisa. Xo

Good morning Carole, yes, this has worked for me always. I have a boat load of chatter in my head to dispense with so I can get to the painting! The simplicity of working out a simple problem first gets me to the next step. Snow here this morning but melting fast. Pretty but glad it will be gone soon. Xo

ArtPropelled said...

Yes! Love your new work!! I'm inspired by your "place to land" art process too.

I used to work with music playing all the time but in the last few years silence has been important for me to produce my best work. Perhaps I need to bring the music back because I don't often have a silent work day..... or I'll try the ear buds :-)

Lovely post, Jeane.

Jeane Myers said...

Good morning Robyn, thank you! Finding that work environment that works best for each of us seems to be an art unto itself!, i love silence for thinking but for just sailing on a surface I want the thinking part shutdown - xo

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I could spend the day wandering around the pieces in your header and the practice piece as well as the finished piece!
Yes,some times the thinking part needs shutting down and the music turned up! I float anywhere between cello solos and Tom Waits...but I need to be alone for the magic and or cursing! Have a great week!

Jeane Myers said...

Thank you so much Mary Ann, the header pieces are torn sketches stacked and stuffed into the little bird feet my girlfriend gave me. They are in my little window that faces the main hall. So many ways to work, no? We are all so different and find our own process. Always interesting to hear how other artists go about their work. Xo

Chris said...

Good a.m. Jeane! I love the header, tear and stack. Hmmm, the first thing I'd pick up in the studio would be an incredibly large dust bunny;p Long, long ago, I was a calligrapher...a very imperfect one. I heard a story about a chinese brush master taking time to carefully move a sumi ink stick against a stone to make ink. It's a process that can't be hurried through, the action prepared his mind. Enjoy reading about your process! xo Happy Valentine's Day!

Jeane Myers said...

and a good am to you also Chris! oh, that is too funny!! I still have a thin layer of sheet rock dust on the floor, someday! oh, yes, that's a good one, making ink - I like that alot - a simple way to clear the clutter from our heads - Happy Valentine's Day to you also!! xo