Tuesday, March 4, 2014

a progression.......

As I continue this amazing art journey, I continue to find new ways to work.  Most of these new ways come by accident.  When I bought the garden gloves a few months ago, little did I know then that they would become an important new tool.  I got the garden gloves because I hated the idea of throwing away plastic gloves everyday.  After adjusting to their awkwardness (clumsy and heavy)  I began to accidentally find things they would do without the aide of brushes, brayers, knives, palette knives or any other tool.  AND they clean up extremely well because they are rubber!!  Basically I use one small palette knife, a brayer and my rubber gloves.  Who knew!??  So on that note I thought I would share a painting progression.  The first pic is how all my paintings start.  A thick layer of paint with cold wax.  I use all my five colors.  I have learned that if I let this set up for a couple of days I have a much more interesting under painting to cut back into.  Stronger colors etc......

under painting started
the next photo shows the work when I go back into it for the first time.    I start the process of letting the shapes, and connections come to the surface.  I call this 'laying down the bones'.  It gives me an early road map.  Before the paint starts to get too muddy, I stop to let it sit for another day or so.  

laying down the bones



Then I start the real work.  The photo below is the finished piece.  This final stage is the place where I have to pay attention to the work.  It starts to tell me what it wants to say.  This stage can take one painting session or many.  There is no hurry - if I'm paying attention and willing to risk all my fav places, the painting will pretty much finish itself.  When I don't pay attention or think I know better then it folds into itself until I'm ready to listen!!

oil and cold wax on panel, 30x40, 'Far From Her Monday Morning'


That willingness to let go and let the work speak is such a freeing experience.  By trusting this I have never been disappointed.  Trying to reign it all in around some parts that I truly love, suffocates all the energy.  I don't have to relearn this each time as much as I use to.  I can even go a couple of paintings before I have to relearn it again.  Progress is slow, but so rewarding.  

See you all back here soon!!


18 comments:

ZenDotStudio said...

So great to see the progression! And I know I was blown away, when I was in your studio at how few tools you use and how effortless the final process looks.

Love the new piece on the banner and this new work too!

Veronica Stewart said...

The same thing happens when I weave baskets. They always tell me how they want to be...if I listen.

Donna Holdsworth said...

Love seeing the WIP and the finished piece is just beautiful. I have just been learning this lesson myself about letting the painting finish itself. They always turn out to be my favs!

Jo Murray said...

It's a treat to see how you work. Yummy surface!

Jeane Myers said...

good morning Carole, thank you so much!! for me less is best - too many options becomes confusing for me and I always admire people who can breeze through a bazillion colors and a table full of tools. we are all so different. xo

yes Veronica!! learning to listen!! I'm constantly having to relearn this, albeit not as much as before!! way better, no?!! glad you stopped by. :))

A hard lesson to learn, no? Donna. Me too, favs that is! thank you :))

hey Jo, many thanks!! you know me, it's all about texture and layers!! ha! xo

Patrick Lucas said...

your progress is very interesting
your creations are very exciting for me

Eve said...

Thank you for sharing Jeane. You are an inspiration.

Jeane Myers said...

Hi Patrick, thank you so much!! happy you came by :))

good morning Eve, such a nice thing to say!! many thanks, :))

Lisa Graham Art said...

I love seeing your process Jeane and am amazed this is only five colors! As I've said over and over, I could just stare at your work for ages and ages. It always draws me in and it's always soothing to study. Have a great week! xo

Jeane Myers said...

good morning Lisa, very kind of you to say! yes, only five colors that continually surprise me also!! great week to you also, xo

Chris said...

Hi Jeane! Enjoyed seeing the progression pics, fascinating to see chaos/meanderings turned into a story/poetry. Lovely! xoxo

Jeane Myers said...

hello Chris, thank you so much!! always love hearing from you xo

Sandy Shelenberger said...

Hi Jeane!

Thank-you for sharing your process. I love seeing the variety of ways artists work. You are right-------the work always turns out better when you listen when the work speaks:>) Your artwork is extraordinary!!

Jeane Myers said...

isn't that the truth Sandy!! thank you so much, so glad you stopped by :))

William Hall said...

It is very true what you say about "favorite parts". If they become to dear to sacrifice, they can ruin the whole piece. That is one of the reasons I decided to work the way I do. I reveal the finished work all at once, with no option for change. It either flies or it doesn't.

As always, love the piece!

Jeane Myers said...

good morning William, well you definitely have one of the most interesting mediums out!! So interesting!! happy you stopped by :))

Ruth Andre said...

I have loved reading through several months of your blog. The current post is fabulous and I am amazed with your painting process. I have also added your blog to my blog links.

Jeane Myers said...

good morning Ruth, thank you so much! nice to see you here :))