Tuesday, March 18, 2014

time........

Time.  That's what it takes most of the time to truly finish a piece.  Or maybe I should say I don't mind how long it takes to finish a work.  I've had them come together in a matter of one afternoon, but most times days, weeks and months are the norm.  I've been working on one particular painting for over 1/2 year.  It has had its manifestations several times, but I tired of those almost immediately.  This is the painting:  I finished it yet again today.

mixed media on panel, 24x24, 'Falling Off The Edge'
I've been using dry pigment more and more lately.  I've been laying the painting flat, pouring a bit of walnut oil on the surface and then sprinkling dry pigment on.  Then with my fabulous garden gloves I've been working this into the surface of cold wax and oil paint.  It's all very textural and a delicious way to work.  This painting shows how that can manifest.  I truly believe there is no end to the way we can work our materials. 

Hope you are all enjoying the beginnings of spring.  The birds are back, the frogs have returned to the ponds, blossoms are falling to the ground already and the light is staying longer.  Yes, thank you, I'll take it!!  Be back here again soon.

14 comments:

Ruth Andre said...

The painting really speaks and the title works so well. It is a favorite.

Carole Reid said...

Just think how much you've learned through this painting! Great title. Hope you are well.
Spring is here now...... I can tell because the magnolia is just about ready to BURST open!
xo Carole

ZenDotStudio said...

oh my, this is gorgeous, the colour, the texture. definitely a keeper. and Spring officially arrives in 2 days! the frog chorus from our pond is a virtual din!

Patrick Lucas said...

superb!
the new spring inspires you the colorful creativity !
hugs

Jeane Myers said...

Hello Ruth, thank you so much!! It has accumulated a bit of history for sure!! :))

Oh, for sure Carole - this little piece and I have traveled a ways together!! definitely an enlightening journey! oh one of my favorite spring happenings - magnolia flowers!! :))

good morning Carole, thank you!! yes! spring!! enjoy every moment of next week!! xo

many thanks Patrick! and yes, I do believe you have that right, the spring inspiration!! :))

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Yesterday I saw a little green hummingbird and the bees have been buzzing!
Powder pigments, garden gloves and yes, "Falling on the Edge" is beautiful! The time it takes for these beauties to appear is a mystery but keeping at it is the secret. I always love to see what you post!

Jo Murray said...

The beauty of your work lies in the journey it has travelled. Each mark has a history.

Chris said...

Hi Jeane, I love the results of the dry pigments in walnut oil. The painting is wonderful as well as the title! Evidence spring is near...the heron is back (!), many Robins to see and hear...the cobwebs are clearing from my head-finally. Have a great week! xo

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeane Myers said...

good morning Mary Ann, oh those sweet hummingbirds!! I have heard a couple but not seen any yet and yes, keeping at it holds all the magic, no? thank you, xo

yes, Jo!! a history for sure, I can look down the layers and remember where I was, a bit of visual diary, xo

many thanks Chris!! a yummy combo, pigment and walnut oil for sure - oh, the heron is back!! very confirming, no? and yes, cobwebs disappearing here also, xo

Eve said...

What is not to love about falling of an edge. Free falling. Into the unknown space of possibilities.

Jeane Myers said...

hello Eve, thank you so much!! free falling into the unknown possibilities is right on!! :))

Eve said...

Hi Jeane,
I just launched my professional FB page. My goal is 100 likes. I'm 11 away. If you feel inclined, please go to https://www.facebook.com/eveozerart and give the page a "thumb up".
Thanks!

Lisa Graham Art said...

Stunning. Always stunning.

Your patience paid off well.

xoxo